Tranøy Fyr Maritime Hotel
These Lighthousekeepers and -masters have served at Tranøy Fyrstasjon, their service years between brackets:
Tranøy Lighthouse (Hamarøy)
There was need for a firestation to be placed along the Vestfjord, to direct shipping towards the inner parts of the fjord in the direction of Tjelsund, Ofoten and Tysfjord. The director of the Lighthouse board thought Stangholmen a good place to build a fire beacon.
A beacon with a fixed light was chosen. Permission to start building was granted in the budget for the period of 1863-1866, with an estimate of 6274 Specidaler (old coin, 4 kroner = 1 Specidaler).
The owner of Stangholmen was prepared to sell, but because he didn’t have proof of ownership it was decided that the Lighthouse board would pay a yearly rent of 3 Specidaler. Also the staff had permission to get fresh water from Tranøy. A building for the beacon was built in ‘laftverk’, together with a barn, outbuilding and oil storage. A boathouse with a winch was also built. The beacon of the 4th category was installed. It was lit on the 19th of September 1864.
Heavy seas partially destroyed the protecting wall around the beacon during a severe gale in the winter of 1867. In 1877 the weather turned so bad that waves crashed over the whole of Stangholmen, creating major damage to the wall and the houses and flooding the systems.
In 1903-1904 it was proposed to rig Tranøy Fyr with a lamp. Permission was granted in 1909-1910. In 1910 a new light was fixed, one that emitted 2 flashes every six seconds. In 1906 a water reservoir was installed in the basement, and in 1908 a mooring quay with a crane was built.
In 1933, in conjunction with the seafaring authorities, a list was made of lighthouses where a fog signal was to be installed. Tranøy was one of these lighthouses. A diaphone was installed on a budget of 120.000 kroner. Now the 20 meters high cast iron tower from Moholmen outside Kabelvåg was broken down and reinstalled at Stangholmen. The total height on Tranøy was 28 meters.
The beacon of 1910 was used, together with the diaphone. Downstairs – the first floor – became the engine room, on the second and third floor three aircilinders were installed, and on the fourth floor the diaphone was placed. The new lighthouse was lit on the first of November 1936.
This meant a greater workload on the crew, now four people worked at the lighthouse instead of one. So, three new buildings were erected. A semidetached building, a barn and a boathouse. There was now a first Lighthousekeeper, a second Lighthousekeeper and two seasonal workers that were only present when the light was lit from the 7th of August until the 30th of April.
In 1959 the lighthouse became electrically powered, with a diesel aggregate as a backup. A new light of the second category with a fixed lens (middle part) and a 1000 Watt bulb was fitted. The fog signal was equipped with an electrically charged compressor.
To reach the shore from the island of Stangholmen one had to row. This could be tough. In 1969 a 250 meter long bridge was built across the narrow sea strait. A few years later Tranøy Fyrstasjon was manned alternately by different people. In 1983 the foghorn was retired and the crew reduced from four to two.
In 1986 the lighthouse was completely automated and five years later, on June 5th, 1991, the last Firehousekeeper had his last watch.
On the first of July the story of Tranøy Fyr as a tourist accomodation started with the first entrepeneur Stig Lexberg and his family.
contact & reservations +47 997 0 44 99